Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Misuse of energy use index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todrianth

Civil/Environmental
Mar 17, 2014
RO
Hi,

I have a question regarding the energy use index/intensity (EUI) calculation. It is known that it represents the annual energy use divided by the gross floor area but I am skeptical about what that floor area represents. In all examples I've seen calculations of the index, the buildings were simple floor 1, floor 2, ... floor x buildings with nothing special.

But what if we have terraces, those are not heated so why should they be included? Also subterranean parking, those are usually kept just above 10 C, so why should that be included as 21 C places? It seems that the resulting EUI can be highly manipulated in benchmarks by adding or excluding these surfaces.

So what do you think is best practice to this ? I have a building that has exterior terraces and subterranean parking. If I include these surfaces in my EUI calc then consumption is just slightly above good practice (accoding to CIBSE), but if I include these then my building cons. leaps to just above typical practice which is a huge lot, like 40%.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The total gross floor area is a real estate term that is measured between exterior wall surfaces. Include basements, mezzanines, penthouses, all primary and supporting function space, mechanical spaces, elevators, stairwells, atria (first level only), vent shafts, etc. Gross floor area is not the same as leasable space.

Agree with you that it is misleading, but take advantage of it. That is why the fine print is listed advertisements.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, although they should use heated floor area in my opinion, much closer to a real energy use index physically speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back