Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MiTek connectors instead of Simpson

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleStud

Structural
Jul 6, 2022
US
Today someone from MiTek stopped by at my home office. He gave me catalog and info on their product. Has anyone specified their product instead of Simpson? I think it is good to create competition? Simpson seems to have most of the market share. Is this going to create problems?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What country are you in? Here in New Zealand Mitek are the market leaders
The majority of the products I specify are Mitek - Simpson is generally more expensive
I prefer Simpson's documentation personally, but market preference speaks strongly
You may run into the opposite problem if your market is used to Simpson

In terms of actual performance - I like almost all of their products and have specified them extensively without concern
The only product of theirs I know I don't like is their joist penetration stiffeners but that's a bit niche

Always a tricky one
I agree with your point about 'trying to create competition' but there is some food for thought on that one
What's the intended outcome of competition? Lower prices first and foremost.
If Simpson is cheaper then that will dictate preference
If they aren't cheaper then I imagine you will get support for wanting to change

Warren Buffet company, now, isn't it?

For the most part they use the Simpson designations for their products, I believe. When I do specify things out, substitutions require written notice and approval, billed hourly. It's probably unlikely to get documented, in advance, but some building officials will notice that and then I get to know about it. It's a precautionary practice but the loads can be different, after all. These guys used to be USP connectors, if I remember correctly. HQ out of Columbus, MN.

For us, we do not have a choice about the truss plates. They license the product to the truss suppliers and the ones we work with generally are only supply one or the other. We have never had a truss plate manufacturer contact us.

Oops, connectors not plates. We spec Simpson most of the time due to their tech support. The Simpson engineer for our region is exceedingly helpful. Many of the suppliers suggest USP and we are fine with those so long as they provide a table.

We can get both here in the US and I specify Simpson as it is the most readily available and I have the designations memorized. Some contractors will substitute Mitek and I don't really care.

MiTek dominates the truss market around here - plates and connectors. So truss packages will often come with a case of MiTek hangers. As long as either the truss designer spec'd them or they prove they meet or exceed the hanger that was specified, I don't care. But Simpson is readily available and has great docs...it's easier to specify so I specify it.

I've specified both. One supplier carries simpson, the other mitek. Home Depot has simpson, Lowes has USP. I usually specify simpson but indicate that alternatives are allowed but must meet or exceed the capacities noted in the simpson catalogue.

The only time I ever see MiTek is trusses and modular houses, basically anything pre-built. They have that market cornered along the east coast. Simpson for everything else. I think HD/ Lowes sells some MiTek straps and connectors, but rarely do I see them used in real construction. I think I bought a few MiTek straps to repair some joists in my kitchen. They didn't have the short Simpson ones in stock the day I went to HD.

Simpson seems to be very good at marketing. I think they create products first, then try to convince building inspectors that there's a problem that only they can solve.

In most cases I think the Mitek hangers are comparable. But Simpson's patent on double shear nailing means their hangers need fewer nails. Contractors like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back