Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitered 90degree sheet metal elbow 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrings

Mechanical
Jun 13, 2006
US
I would love to be able to do this in Solidworks. I am sure it could do it just haven't had the time. we currently use Sigmanest Develop to do these flat layouts for us and they work pretty well. Anyone else ever done a mitered elbow in Solidworks sheetmetal?

Joe Rings CSWA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since you will need to weld these together anyways I would lean toward using the weldment feature SolidWorks has. You basically sketch the center profile and create the profile of the tubing to follow. It is very similar to a sweep but allows you to select the type of intersections you want at each transition.

Using weldment will also give you the exact lengths and angle cuts needed for each section.

Hope this helps....

Best Regards,
Jon Knabenschuh

Gemini CAD Solutions

Challenges are what makes life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

Solidworks 2007

Hey Joe,
If you create a "tube" using the "revolved boss/base" (only revolving 359.5°)then create a sketch with your "miter". Use the "insert bends" command. Now it will unfold.
Is this what your looking for?

Ken

Believe it or not I have still not found a way to make use of Solidworks at all when it comes to duct work and transitions. I have given up on the elbow and now I can't even seem to get a simple offset round duct to work. I am pretty sure Solidworks was not the right software for our company.

Joe Rings CSWA

If you model the 3 piece adjustable elbow into a flexible assembly and insert that flexible assembly into another assembly just make sure one end of the duct is fixed with mates. Then mate your next duct piece to the other end of the flexible duct. Then using distance mates you can lock down the direction and location of the exiting duct while having the flexible duct auto-solve.

Note it may take moving the assembly "close" to get the mates to stick without errors, but it can work. I've done similar, just not ducting.

Forget doing this in a weldment, make it's own assembly.

James Spisich
Design Engineer, CSWP

Hi jrings,

We are creating 90 degree mitered elbows for our fabrication shop with Solidworks. Our company is one of the largest metal fabrication shops in the United States. We send all of our plates to Sigmanest for our cutting needs and we use the sheetmetal function to create those plates.

I don't think the weldment way of creating an elbow is the best way. I'm kind of confused how the sheet metal function would work as a weldment.

In any case the fastest way to create the elbow that you want is to create an assembly. Create a 2D sketch as a part. In that 2D sketch you want to draw your outline of the elbow you wish to create. Include your radius, centerlines, # of segments and your O.d of the elbow. Now insert the 2D sketch into your assembly. Start creating the elbow segments as rolled sheetmetal extrusions. Insert the elbow segments as parts into your assembly and mate into place. Now use the 2D sketch that you created as the driving sketch for your mitered cuts.

Assuming you want the best way to do it which isn't the fastest. Create your sheetmetal elbow segments within the assembly use reference planes and the 2D sketch to drive your entire assembly. This way you won't have to worry about mates if your assembly is created within context. The cool part is that if you go this route you have an assembly that can be used many times over and can be customized for different duct o.d.'s.

I know it sounds complicated and trust me the first time I tried creating it on my own without a starting point I almost gave up in frustration. My senior designer showed me the way our company created these mitered sheet metal elbows in Solidworks and it blew my mind how easy it was. This is an assembly that can be created in 5-10 minutes easy with only a couple of steps.

We've used this method for everything from 36" to over 14' O.D. duct.

p.s. quick tip make sure your weld seams don't line up when you create your mitered elbow segments. Can't tell you how much it sucks having to fix that simple mistake.

Tristan Johns
Lortz Manufacturing
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back