Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitsubishi Programming on a Budget. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BENHILL

Electrical
Dec 16, 2002
GB
An overview;

I've got over twenty five Mitsubishi PLC units, some almost brand new, a couple up to five years old. All more or less in working order. They came to me 'at the right price' & I have projects planned for several.

In a former life, I made my living as an electronics design engineer. These days I'm house-bound, & my remaining brain cell is caving in through lack of use (not that it can take too much...lol).

The problem;

In order to use these things, I need to program them. Could the experts amongst you give me an idea of the least costly (for "least costly" read really cheap) way to achieve this?

The solution?

I expect I will need a cable & some PC based software or a handheld device to enter commands. I'm not beyond making up a cable to suit if someone can point me in the direction of some connection information. However, I'm somewhat concerned about the cost & 'secondhand' availability of the software or handheld.

I apologise for ramblng on, & any help or advice will be gratefully received.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ben?

If you have an application in mind, I would suggest a simpler solution: There are two different PC compatible
microcomputer cards on the market which you can program in
BASIC,C,C++,Pascal,FORTRAN, etc.
Need details?

<nbucska@pcperipherals DOT com> subj: eng-tips

Many thanks you two.

For xyzz the model NOs are as follows:

1) F - 20MR - ES1
2) FX - 48MR - ES/UL
3) FX - 48MR - DS
4) FX - 64MT - ESS
5) FX - 32MT - ESS
6) FX - 24MR - ES/UL
7) FX - 8EX - ES
8) FXO - 30MR - ES
9) FXO - 30MR - DS
10) FXOS - 30MR - DS
11) FXOS - 20MR - DS

For Eric: The UK site seems not to be, & I am not being allowed onto the USA site (a cookie or somesuch has obviously been set), & I am imediately redirected to the UK site, which is a pain!

I will try to located said cookie & remove. This may be impossible without dumping the lot, any suggestions?

If either of you, or anyone else can give me a hand with this, I'd be most grateful.

Ben.

Hi nbucska, It's not details I need, It's money! <grin>

If I had sufficient of that, then there any nuber of ways to 'skin the cat', but thanks for the suggestion.

Ben.

Benhill,
For communication cable see this:
Concerning the programming software- there is an old DOS program called Melsec Medoc for programming all Mitsubishi PLCs.
By my opinion, this is the best DOS-based PLC software ever.
It works pefectly under any Windows and is much simpler for learning than Windows-based FXGPWin or GX Developer.
Give me your email if you decide to go with the Medoc.

Good luck.
Sergei Troizky a.k.a. xyzz.

For your information- there is an inexpensive replacement for the original programming cable.
Use the link in the post above.

Sergei thanks muchly for your help. I would be very pleased to have a copy of the Melsec program if you can find the time to send it.

I've had a good look at the MRPLC board. It appears that as I surmised the dongle might be more about protocol rather than obfuscation.

Hi 28021973,

Any news on the eval copy of FXGPwin? I would be most grateful for it if you are able to send.

xyzz was quite correct, the 'dongle' is an RS232 to RS422 convertor, very simple to knock up, and a lot less than £150.00.

Hello I too am interested in the software for the mitsubiishi PLC. If Benhill could send me a copy for evaluation of course.[wink] Also xyzz if you could send me a DOS copy of melsec medoc I would be very greatful. Benhill is correct in his assesment of the RS422 to RS232 converter. They are relativly cheap to purchase as well. I noticed on the posted drawing for the plc cable that there was RXD-, RXD+ and TXD-. One of the unlisted pins has to be TXD+ RS422 protocol uses two pair one for TXD and one for RXD. Do you happen to know which pin is TXD-? I have made cables for Allen Bradley PLC's and would like to make one for the mitsubishi ones as well. I use a telebyte converter and have never had a communications problem.

Sorry Sergei, I thought that I had placed my response to wildrose911 here.

My only point was that the windows eval copy was promised but never delivered (I still live in hope).

To xyzz,

Hi, just got Medoc up & running, nice little app, but (there's always a but) it wants to save to my 'D' drive rather than to 'C'.

Is there a way to point it to 'C', as it tries but fails with 'D' (both are hard drives btw).

Your help (if you can) would be greatly appreciated.

Ben.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back