Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mixed suspension types

Status
Not open for further replies.

modesign

Automotive
Oct 28, 2003
GB
I am going to use standard hub carriers hubs, brakes etc from an existing car to produce a prototype.The hubs are the same all round but handed. The standard car uses struts back and front. The prototype (which has to run) has a low front and struts will not fit. I have converted the hub to enable me to use twin wishbones at the front. My question is what potential problems are lurking in using wishbone front and strut rear? I know that the Chapman used this system on the Lotus Elite The Chapman strut at the rear used the drive shaft as the suspension link.

Regards Sandy Cormack

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No significant probs I can think of. If you don't think about it you might get some weirdness with the different camber curve settings front to rear, but you can get any camber curve you want with a double wishbone, so you should be able to get the relationship sorted.

I'd be tempted to use very little camber at the front, for a road car, but it depends what you want the car to do.

Cheers

Greg Locock

The Lancia Stratos had this arrangement as well.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Depending on the initial angle of the lower control arm for the rear, the roll center will rise or fall in roll. This can give a different roll feel to the entire vehicle. A falling rc can give an awkward feeling to the driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back