Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

mixer propeller mech design

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am currently designing an agitated vessel, that requires a propeller to suspend solids within water. The speed is 2.2 rev/s, and the diameter is 800 mm. How do i determine the mechanical aspects of the propeller, such as shaft diameter, pitch of the blade etc..
much apreciated to any help you can offer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may want to contact "Lightnin' Mixer" or "Hockmeyer Equipment." They are experts in dispersion, agitation, and mixing for vertical tanks.

A reference that covers this area pretty well is:

Fluid Mixing Technology
James Y. Oldshue
Format: Hardcover, 400pp.
ISBN: 0070476853
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Companies, The
Pub. Date: July 1983

Oldshue did much of the research that governed the design of Lightnin Mixers, and is well published.

A series of articles were published in Cheical Engineering during 1976 including one on
agitatr design for suspending solids in liquids. We have been using this and have found quite useful.
For solid suspension you need to decide the scale of agitation (from 1 to 10). You need to know the densities of liquid, the soild and viscositiy of the liquid. There are graphs which will help you determine the parameter from where you can estimate the impeller dia, considering that the RPM is fixed.

Make sure that are well away from the critical speed.

Hope the above will help.

paul....

The group of papers refered to above were written by the staff at Chemineer in the mid to late 1970's. They are informative, well written and supply the best practical guide to mixer/agitator design that I have ever found.

They are still available from Chemineer...... "Lightnin" also supplies a little design book explaining their products

Hope that this helps....

MJC

I want to know about the pitch of the agitator. Is it possible to have a three bladed square pitch propeller?

can u able to give inforamtion regarding shaft design

i mean
thickness of the shaft used in agitator
it is very urgent
please help me

k madhavan

hi this is a reply for madhavan.
Hi madhavan, you should give us mor detailedinformation if you want to get useful answers,for exmple. oif you wuse a rpm reducto, the size of the last shaft, (reduced rpm is a good indication of thew minimal diameeter the agitator sahfts has to be.
Pleaw e send more detailes Let me sugest to put a personal post about tjois you wil obtain more answers
rgds
mmo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back