Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mixing equipment for nano-particles

Status
Not open for further replies.

allcomposites

Materials
Apr 16, 2009
CA
We are trying to add nanoparticles to our resins with some interesting results, but we face an issue with uniformity of the mix. I'm looking for a small mixing equipment to test. Have tried TRM and sonication but these cannot be industrialized.

Does anyone know any laboratory equipment other than those used in pharmaceutical industry (too expensive)?

Allcomposites

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The best process for getting very good dispersion of particles in liquids is three roll mills (a.k.a. "paint mills" because they were commonly used to disperse pigments in paint). These, too, work best on a lab scale. At large scale these have mainly been displaced by media mills. Media mills for nano-particles would typically use about 1 mm diameter zirconium oxide beads. Three roll mills work better at higher solids concentrations and liquid viscosity, are better at removing the heat caused by high-shear, but take more skill and labor to operate. Homogenizers are also an option.These use high pressure piston pumps to pump a fluid through small orifices to create high shear.

Hi CompositePro,
Thanks for the tip on media mill, I look into this possibility. I'm actually using three roll mills (TRM) but result isn't the best for low viscosity fluids. Also, styrene vapor is an issue with TRM.
I have contacted a company which makes a laboratory homogenizer (
Will check about media mill for nanoparticles too.

Thanks
Allcomposites

Ultrasonics can be used at commercial scale. Also try a high shear mixer (rotor-stator) e.g. from IKA which can be used at commercial scale too. Don't forget to find the right dispersants which is just as important as the mixing technology.

Chris DeArmitt

consulting for the plastics industry

Agree with Demon3, Ultrasonic is used on industrial scale.

You can google the term sonolator.

It is a high pressure high volume homogenizer.

Hi guys,
During last months we have tested few types of equipment for nanparticles dispersion in epoxy resin (TRM, US, Homogenizers). After all we concluded that a Microfluidizer Processor (used for the pharmaceutical industry) was the best option. We have run several tests and observed morphology through MEB microscopy. Dispersion was great with this system and we move forward to acquire one unit.

Thanks, all of you, for your valuable comments.

allcomposites

Glad you found a solution and thanks for posting your results. It makes the site a better place when people like you take the time and effort to do that.

By the way, if you are looking for a way to optimize dispersion of particles by quickly identifying the best type of dispersant, then you may find this report useful.

Chris DeArmitt PhD FRSC CChem

Consultant to the plastics industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back