Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mixing PP/carbon 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

finfin11

Materials
Nov 6, 2012
ID
I need to mixing PP with carbon, but composition of PP < 10 %wt. will be prepared with different percentages PP–carbon 6:94 and 8:92. whether it can be formed into a rectangular plate? Please tell me, how about the procedure?
do I need a solvent for PP? does anybody know a good solvent for PP?

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

By PP i guess you mean polypropylene. If so, no, there are no solvents.

What do you mean by carbon. It comes in many forms, however I doubt that polypropylene can we it out at that quantity if mixed with molten polypropylene.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Hi Pat,
thanks for your answer
I will mixing polypropylene + carbon black powder, but composition of PP < 10 %wt. will be prepared with different percentages PP–carbon black powder 6:94 and 8:92. whether it can be formed into a rectangular plate?
Please tell me, how about the procedure and method?

I think I already said it can't be done.

I think for carbon black it is probably difficult to get more than 40% into PP. Maybe less.

The method is usually feeding both materials into a twin screw extruderthat melts the PP and mixes the carbon powder into the melted PP

Regards
Pat
for site rules

I think the only chance you have to make make such a material is to start with PP powder with a particle size of 5 micron or less, blend the powders together and compression mold at high pressure and temperature.

Another way to put this is to go to the kitchen and weight out 95g flour. Add 5g water and try to mix that into a paste. You'll need more fluid phase.

Chris DeArmitt - PhD FRSC CChem
Plastic & Additives Webinars
Instant Downloads & Inexpensive

CP at 5% there still will not be enough volume of PP to form a binder to stick the carbon particles together.

Regards
Pat
for site rules

Hi Pat,

Thanks! A compliment indeed coming from you. My mind works in simple terms like that. Easier to relate to than equations and obscure theories.

Chris

5% is a very common binder level when simply binding particles together. It will simply not be as strong as a mixture with more binder. The OP has said nothing about the purpose of his plate. Carbon black can be pressed into a plate without any binder (as can flour, for that matter).

It is possible to dissolve PP. For example when you want to measure the molecular weight by GPC they heat it in trichlorobenzene to dissolve it.

In some work I did we avoided chlorinated solvents and used a MARSX Microwave oven accelerated reaction system for extraction from CEM where the solvent was 25 ml of a 30% n-Hexane, 70% Ethyl-acetate.

I am not 100% sure that dissolved the PP, it did definitely swell it.

thanks for all
I will try your suggestion
and I still receive more suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back