Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mixing solvent with uncured epoxy resin

Status
Not open for further replies.

avior

Materials
Nov 24, 2006
CA
I know some of you have a strong background in chemistry.
In our reparation process we are using Epocast 50A two component epoxy resin ( ). The resin has very good laminating properties but is too viscous to inject it with a syringe needle.
May I add a few percents of acetone (solvent) to increase the fluidity (decrease viscosity) of the resin? what would be the maximum (%) allowed? Does acetone may change the epoxy resin polymerization (weaker bonding properties)?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

avior.
I would check with Huntsman first, but you may be better off using a reactive dilutant like GLYCIDYL ETHER instead of Acetone. A dilutant in the resin will degrade the properties of the epoxy less than a trapped solvent.
I would have no problem recommending Acetone if it was where the solvent could evaporate before the epoxy had cured. But if you are injecting this you are setting yourself up to have the solvent trapped in the epoxy matrix.

Composite pro would have a better handle on this than me.
B.E.

Thanks for your answer, . . . indeed I was waiting a reply from compositgeek or compositepro.
As far as I know any solvent isn't a proper diluent for epoxy, but since an important industrial use for acetone involves its reaction with phenol for the manufacture of bisphenol A, I hope that may works as a thiner for epoxy resin also. For sure the polymerization reaction is affected, the question is how bad?
Any other ideas?

Acetone and other solvents will reduce viscosity very effectively and are used for aiding the impregnation of fabrics to make prepreg. The solvent must be removed before the resin gels or it will severely degrade the mechanical properties of the resin. If you are injecting the resin is sounds like adding solvent is not an option. You can select a resin formulation that is lower in viscosity. If you must stay with what you are using increasing the temperature of the resin will reduce its viscosity. It will also increase the reaction rate of the resin so your working time will go down. Don't overheat the resin or it will gel so fast that it exotherms (smoke bomb).
Epoxy adhesives are very sensitve to mix ratio or composition changes. Don't do it without knowing what you are doing and test the results. This is all done in the initial development of a formulation.

there are two kinds of diluents for epoxy, non-active just for dilution, active diluents not only diluting but joining the crosslink,
Please try Benzyol Acohol, this is an active diluent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back