Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MMPDS-04 CN1: Table 3.1.2.1.1. Reductions for Edgewise Orientation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WKTaylor

Sep 24, 2001
US
Stress guys... important change to an obscure MMPDS table...

The short transverse** bearing reduction-factor table for thick aluminum alloy plate in MMPDS-04, Change Notice 1, has been significantly revised. The table has been expanded to include various plate thicknesses, up-to the known maximum, for 2xxx, 2xxx-Al-Li and 7xxx alloys.

See MMPDS-04 CN1 table 3.1.2.1.1.(a) "Reductions for Edgewise Orientation of 2000, Al-Li, and 7000 Series Alloys"

NOTE. Some of these reduction factors are greater than originally published for Table 3.1.2.1.1. "Bearing Property
Reductions for Thick Plate of 2000 and 7000 Series Alloys"

[**Fbru, Fbry, "edgewise" hole orientation].

This is significant for those of us who have to develop local manufactured parts [using newer alloys] to replace corroded/cracked thick section 7xxx-T6 die forged parts (+50-year-old antiques). In many cases the thick plate options are ideal... as long as these edgewise-bearing reductions are "OK'ed" by the stress weenies.

Regards, Wil Taylor

Wil,

Can you repost MMPDS-04 table 3.1.2.1.1(a)? I have been unable to download it from the link you provided.

Thanks

Wil,
Thanks for pointing that out. Haven't had time to review CN1. Like you, I work on "antiques" from time to time.

Sorry guys...

My company has a subscription to IHS Standards Expert... so obtaining a copy is relatively easy [for a 79-Mb document].

Older versions are available here/there... but the latest (MMPDS-04-CN1) has a lot of changes/additions/updates.

Regards, Wil Taylor

MMPDS-01 is still free at
(At least for now...)

My company bought -04 and CN 1 and, as Will says, it's got quite a few changes cf. -01. CN 1 itself has quite a few mods on the base -04, including Ferrium S53 and 7056.

-04 and CN 1 are available at
for a stonking $639 + $99 for CN 1. (Actually not too bad for 2500 pp., though I'm not sure how many are new cf. -01.)

They claim that -05 will be out in late 2010, with CN 1 included. I think that -05 might actually be worth shelling out for, even if you've got -01.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back