Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mobile App 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

amendale

Structural
May 25, 2011
CA
Is anyone familiar of a mobile app that can do operations with common engineering units?
For example doing something like this would be great:
(5kN + 3kip)/5ft^2 = 3.5kPa

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want it to do the math, not just convert, I can only think of Wolfram Alpha. I cannot confirm that that it can do that exactly but i know their website is powerful and it is made from Mathmatica and Stephen wolfram.

What situation would require you to do that - other than a homework problem?
Seems like it would be better to do the conversion yourself just to make sure you get a feel for the magnitudes.

The HP-48 series calculators and their successors can work with dimensions just like you showed plus do a whole lot more.

I have i48, an HP-48GX emulator [ on my iPhone and it works great. In fact, I just used it to calculate a pressure of 39492.9_Pa from your data.

The m48 app, which I don't have, includes several other HP models ( I also found an HP-50G app (
Similar apps appears to exist for the Android platform.

==========
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

You can also just type equations straight into google and it will do the math and unit conversion for you. If you're working in force, make sure you use lbf or it gets confused. If you want it to spit out a specific unit you can tell it that too.

For instance type in

pi * 5lbf / m^2 in kPa

and it will give me:

pi * 5 (lbf / (m^2)) = 0.0698725017 kilopascals

as the response before the first search result. If you've got a quick search bar you don't even have to hit enter. It just shows up as the suggested result in the drop down.

Works on the phone version as well.

Supposedly, but it's actually only for PPC-based devices, which I think are pretty much extinct.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

I can't help with mobile devices, I've been looking for the same thing without results.

If you are working on Windows I highly recommend Smath Studio. I use it frequently for cross-unit designs just like your example.

PTC has just release Mathcad Prime 3, which, like MP2, has an "Express" unlicensed mode that locks certain "premium" features. Nonetheless, MP3 Express might be sufficiently usable in Windows, but would be less capable than Smath Studio in some respects.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back