Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mobile welding machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

moturcu

Electrical
May 27, 2003
US
Hello everbody,
I need some fundamental information about mobile welding machines. They run from small rechargable battery and are capable of doing small welding jobs requiring 4-5 electrodes without using main power.

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The first stick welding was done with banks of batteries. They also sell kits so you can do it with your vehicle. It should work as it has been done before, but I wouldn't know what kind of arc characteristics they have. It could be much more difficult than a regular welding machine.

The only portable welding "machines" I am aware of require a source of constant power, i.e. generator. If a welder operates on stored power,battery,the arc will become increasingly unstable as the stored power is diminished.
By "4-5 electrodes", I assume you mean SMAW (stick)welding, consumable electrodes, which requires a dependable,constant potential power source to produce a sound weld.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back