Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mobile workshop for repairing truck, tractor and tank engines in Arctic field conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander Morozov

Geotechnical
Dec 1, 2019
RU
We are a family of four graduates of Bauman Moscow state technical University. We have been drilling wells for water since 1996. We made for their needs Mobile (ЗИЛ-130) workshop for repairing truck, tractor engines in field conditions:
( post dated 30 November 2019 .
On the images:
1. Hanging heavy Duty Motor-Rotor Repair Stand
2. Runout cranes (Retractable crane beam)
3. Drive for cold engine testing
I could remove the engine from the engine compartment and repair it in the workshop alone.
I am interested in your opinion about the usefulness of this workshop in a mechanized caravan for the development of uninhabited, remote, wild regions and in the Arctic.
Thanks for your attention.
Alexander Morozov, Moscow region
%D0%9A%D0%B0%D0%BD%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BB%D1%8C_%D0%B2_%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B5_q3srqg.jpg
%D0%9A%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%BD-%D0%B1%D0%B0%D0%BB%D0%BA%D0%B0_%D0%B2%D1%8B%D0%B4%D0%B2%D0%B8%D0%BD%D1%83%D1%82%D0%B0_ipg9hk.jpg
%D0%9F%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%B4_%D0%BE%D0%B1%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%BA%D0%B8_zsbf8u.jpg
m7_frs_tm_%D0%A1%D0%B8%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BC%D0%B0_%D0%9F%D1%80%D1%8F%D0%BC%D0%BE%D0%B3%D0%BE_%D0%A0%D0%B5%D0%BC%D0%BE%D0%BD%D1%82%D0%B0_ra050c.jpg
3._%D0%9C%D0%A2%D0%9E-%D0%A3%D0%911_%D1%81_%D0%B3%D0%B8%D0%B4%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%BB%D0%B8%D1%87%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B9_%D1%81%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B9_rorlyo.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Alexander Morozov:
You really have to make that determination at your location and under the local conditions. How long does it take to remove (and replace) the engine and place it in the workshop area of the truck? Compare this time with how long it takes to fix the engine in place. In either case, you will be working in the prevailing elements, so productivity is somewhat limited by the weather, etc. And then, hanging over a machine fender or radiator, in a tight space within the engine compartment, is less ideal than working on an engine on an adjustable stand, with some heat and bench space. So, productivity and quality of workmanship should improve in the latter case. What might be most beneficial is that you optimize the means, equipment and fixtures for lifting and removing/moving the engine and placing it in the work stand, in the workshop area of your truck, and that you optimize the workshop area for best work flow and some comfort of the mechanics. Any heating unit must be vented to the outside of the workshop area of the truck. Maybe the extendable (telescoping, booming angle up, down, and swing, etc.) beam/boom should be on the vehicle which lifts/removes the engine, for the most flexibility at that location. Then it can also reach into a work stand, for engine mounting in the workshop area. I understand that money is always an issue, but a solid sided box truck, with a translucent plastic roof sure would improve working conditions and lighting in the workshop area.

Do such expeditions make an effort to have identical brand/models of IC engines on the collection of equipment to minimize spare parts inventory? As handy as a modbile workshop sounds, if there aren't parts, well aren't you stuck, being out in the wilderness? It only takes on missing o-ring . . .

I assume the workshop doubles for working on other equipment repairs as well?

Many military organizations have produced solutions for this problem of providing repair capability in remote or primitive locations. Websearch for "military shop truck" to see images. You probably do not have the funds for those types of vehicles. However you have shown a lot of cool innovation.

You might consider investing in some steel-toe shoes [wink]

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

Thanks.
What's better?
A) My experience. We work on several drilling rigs with the identical engines as in the picture. US drillers work identical. We always have a serviceable engine in stock. We strive to reduce drilling time, repair time, our costs and maintain quality.
Therefore, when the engine breaks down,
1. we bring a serviceable engine with the help of a mobile workshop,
2. we change the engine quickly as in the army,
3. we repair the faulty engine no rush, in the warm, in his workshop in his spare time from drilling (we do everything ourselves).
We do not have an expensive stationary workshop. We have a small warehouse. We can be on the move all the time throughout Russia (as long as there are customers).
We bring only pipes and borehole filters on a trailer with homemade folding sides as in the picture. We're nomads. Americans are also very mobile. It's good. A large mechanized caravan (convoy) needs a trailer with spare parts and serviceable engines. Equipment in the caravan tend should have the same engines. I think small parts for repair will be sent by drones soon.

B) Another way: we remove the engine, we carry in repair (on the road of what length and what quality?), wait and do nothing. What's better?

C) Comparison of workshops.
1. Our workshop has dimensions of 4*2.4 meters. It is more workshops FRS \ MTO-UB1 and not less than the working area of the motorist according to Russian standards. Engine repair is the most difficult. Other units are easier to repair.
2. Alas, I do not have a photo of the engine extraction, but there is a similar one in the picture. To remove the engine, it is enough to have a crawl board (our in the picture is homemade, folding with large wheels for an uneven base) and a crane. Hydraulic crane FRS \ MTO-UB1 is extremely versatile, complex and expensive. Our runout cranes can be equipped with low-power hydraulic or electric drives, working in the warm workshop and in the Arctic.

D) Outcome:
1. Engine can not be repaired in the Forward Repair System (FRS)\MTO-UB1!
2. The usefulness of our workshop in specific cases should be calculated. I'm sure the utility can be.
3. I appreciate your helpful reasonings. In Russia it are rare.
I am interested in cooperation.
mechanized_convoy_bf35tk.jpg

Два способа научно-технического развития.
Первый: «Цап-царап».
Второй: «Обретение МГД-генератора во времена Кощея Бессмертного … вдохновили слова служащих ГУНИД МО РФ».
Как правильно?

Features of drilling wells for water in the North of the Moscow region.
1. The aquifer sands and the soil above these sands have many stones. So we came up with, tested, corrected the errors and made many hundreds of pieces of innovative downhole filters that are protected from these stones, and do not break when the device wells.
2. Drilling water wells is an unsustainable construction task. Small errors in the construction of wells lead to catastrophic consequences.
3. When drilling wells for water, it is often necessary to work continuously without breaks for lunch, Smoking, rest. Otherwise, the work already done will be in vain and it will have to be redone.
We know how to work like that.

New mechanism (gadget).
Sometimes the car must be pulled out of the sand, snow, water or swamp before repair. Sometimes, the length of the winch cable is not enough. We invented, made and used a wedge buckle to quickly connect the ends of the cables by a hammer in 1,..., 2 minutes.
You won't find it anywhere else.
Details in the message from January 12, 2020
We are interested in cooperation.
%D0%97%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D1%80%D1%8F%D0%BB_cvrvcf.png

%D0%A1%D0%BE%D0%B5%D0%B4%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%8F_osvvvb.png

%D0%9F%D1%80%D1%8F%D0%B6%D0%BA%D0%B0_%D0%BD%D0%B0_13%D0%BC%D0%BC_qklfip.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back