Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modal participation Factor and modal mass coefficient for the first natural mode in SAP 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ankita Degaonkar

Structural
Dec 28, 2016
IN
I have analyzed the frame for the load cases pushover, Gravity and Modal.I want to find out the Sa(Spectral acceleration) and sd (spectral Displacement) to convert the available pushover curve into capacity spectrum for finding out the performance point using ATC-40, procedure A.
Can anybody please, Help me To get Participation Factor PF and modal mass ratio alpha directly from Sap output Tables?
(Can Participation factor be negative because in output table it showing -ve in X direction?) (the frame is 2D, 4 storey, 4 Bays.)
Thank You
1_c4ceke.png
2_jivc69.png
3_shast6.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

U need to define hinges for frame elements to be able to see spectral curves, refer to CSI manual/FEMA for more details.

For modal mass participation ratio, you can get it directly from Ctrl+T < Analysis

Shoot for the Moon, even if U miss, U still land among Stars!

You can get SD (Spectral Displacement), SV (Spectral Velocity), PSV (Pseudo Spectral Velocity), SA (Spectral Acceleration) or PSA (Pseudo Spectral Acceleration) using 'response spectral generation' command.
Also, you can get joint response for relevant load effect using 'Plot function' command

Taking a ride on Ankita's quation, how can I normalize mass participation in SAP. I mean, the sum must be 1, but in my model it isn't.

Thanks

You can manually select the participation ratio in each direction, when you input as 100% let's say in X direction (for lateral wind load), then the energy contribution from that direction will be fully 100 at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back