Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Model a beam using shell properties in PATRAN !! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellp70

Mechanical
Apr 3, 2013
Hi everyone!!
I want to model a beam structure using shell properties in PATRAN.
I want to know if it is possible to do that. If yes, how could I do that???!!
Please someone help me!

Thank you in advance![glasses]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi!!
You can do it, if the thickness is small compared to its other dimensions. You must use CQUAD elements for surface meshing. In the PSHELL you must just input the thickness and property. I highly recommend you to read the NASTRAN documentation you can download it for free here
You must start reading the Getting Started User's Guide and after that keep with the Linear Static User's Guide, they will help and teach you to understand FEM and the philosophy of NASTRAN. Also you can find a lot PATRAN and NASTRAN examples in the MSC Nastran Demonstration Problems.
Hope it help you

Most of the time the problem is between the mouse and the chair

Thank you almpunk !!It was really useful. [glasses]
Is it necessary to use MPC in my shell properties to make it a real beam ? For example some mode shapes[ i.e, torsional mode shapes] appear in shell properties which never happen in beam properties.
I tried some MPCs, but I still had torsional mode shapes!!

Hi I don´t understand what you mean!! In a beam you can obtain torsional modes..........all is about the section of your beam, i.e not symmetric section or section with the shear center displaced...... :-(

I got it dear almpunk !! Thank you so much !! [glasses]
You know what is going on !?! I want to model a SHELL as a beam and then use it in PATRAN to calculate FLUTTER analysis. I modeled the shell and validate the 10 first Natural Frequencies with another code in an other software. but when I perform a flutter analysis, the answers in NASTRAN is far far away from that code !! Do you have any suggestion?? Do you know anyone expert in FLUTTER analysis to help me ??!!

Hi!!
I haven't previous experience in FLUTTER analysis, I have not a deep knowledge in Aeroelascity.......so I can not help you too much......:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back