Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Model of fine screen fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timelord

Mechanical
Dec 18, 2002
US
Do any of you pros out there know of a way to model a fine pitch woven wire screen that won't hog all my resources for fractions of an hour? I just want it to look correct in shaded mode views I am taking via screen capture. I'm not going to render it. The screen is square woven .oo3 wire on 80 pitch/inch.

Thanks,

Timelord

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One thing I have found works well is just make the screen part a solid sheet.
Then make it semitransparent in your assembly. (right click on it, component properties, color, advanced)
Then make sure your System options have transparency NOT set for high quality.

Now it should look like a screen in shaded mode!!

Arlin,

Thanks for the tip. Exactly what I was looking for. I had tried representing it as a trimed surface full of small square holes. The sketch to trim the surface was the time consumer, arraying a single square 1100 x 500 times. Your way is quicker and looks good enough for the screen shot into PowerPoint and then into the proposal.

Timelord

some thing else you could do is scan a section of the fine mesh through your scanner and apply it as a texture . I am going to have to do it with peg board for some renderings for a client of ours. Just not sure what it will come out like.!!! see if that works for you ?

sojouner

timelord
030203usf_prv.gif

I did something similar the first time and didn’t like the results. In the drawing, I had a couple of details that were zoomed in quite a bit and the screen was visible. In the end, I made the screen as a patterned assembly of wires and cut it into the final shape that I needed – I made it a dumb solid by exporting and then importing it again. It looked right at any zoom factor because it was right – but the load times were still bearable.

Random_Shapes_Pointed_shapes_prv.gif
Lee
Random_Shapes_Pointed_shapes_prv.gif

Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back