Model of turbine-generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mlmlzx

Electrical
Feb 3, 2021
NP
Dear Sirs

I am in need of a model of water turbine and electrical generator for my science project. Can somebody furnish idea?

Can we use play-do for water- turbine, and is it possible to attach a small generator to it?

Or we can use a microcontroller using input pins for sensing flow of water and output pins for sensing voltage and frequency?

Can somebody please help!

Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Amazon?
Water_turbine_rokh6a.png

Screenshot_2023-09-11_at_08-20-32_Yosoo_DC_Water_Turbine_Generator_Water_12V_DC_yujju7.png

Judging from better specs on another similar unit, the open circuit voltage may reach 80 Volts or more with enough water flow/pressure.
Why re-invent the wheel?

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

FacEngrPE,

The clever part of the example is where the external power source is located and connected. Or do you really believe that a perpetual motion machine is possible?

With that air gap, and no iron core in the coils, it will take very sensitive instruments to detect the output voltage.
One or two digits on the mili-Volt scale. (Maybe)

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Powering a few low power LED's should be possible.
Have you ever played with a magnet and iron filings?
If not, I am sure that you have seen pictures of magnetic fields surrounding a magnet, or more importantly, two opposite polarity magnets close together.
The magnetic field is concentrated directly from one magnet to the other magnet.
Yes, the magnetic field does spread out, but not that much.
The inverse square law is at play here and it is unlikely that the magnetic fields will interact with the coils.
Consider the spacing of the magnets to each other relative to the distance to the coils.

The orientation of the magnets may not be the best. How to explain the importance of this.
I'll try an analogy.
A man is given a wheelbarrow and his choice of shovel.
He is tasked with moving 10,000 cubic yards of gravel about 1/4 mile.
He is agonizing over his choice of shovel.
Should he use a round mouth shove, or a square mouth shovel?​
A bit of an exaggeration, but perhaps not as much as you think in relation to this design.

Measuring the output?
I suspect that you may see a few milli-Volts with a digital multi-meter, but nothing on an older analog multi-meter.
And then add the transformer?
The output will not be enough to overcome the hysteresis of the transformer, hence no output from the transformer.
The lack of iron cores is significant.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Take a closer look at the generator jghrist. It will not generate.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Mlmlzx
Looks like we went off on a tangent, and did not answer your question well.
Hopefully you will share the results of your project.

The point of my original link is that there are many ways to build a successful project, and there are many ideas for which examples are available.
play-doh is not a material I would consider for a turbine housing, as if dried to make it hard, and then submerged it will soften and deform (at least as it was formulated 60 years ago). If you are modeling a Francis turbine, the scroll and tailrace could be formed (with some carving after hardening) from plaster. If you use a hobby style Permanent Magnet motor for a generator, the tricky part will be making the runner, and keeping the motor dry. Try not to make your approach overly complicated if simple will do.

Adding a micro controller is possible, but sensing water flow is relatively difficult, and not necessary to control turbine speed. Usually small water turbine models have enough mechanical and hydraulic losses there is no risk of overspeed on loss of load resulting in unplanned rapid disassembly. You can select a load that will tolerate some voltage / frequency variation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back