Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

model series of check dams with hydrocad

Status
Not open for further replies.

meatymatt

Civil/Environmental
Apr 10, 2013
US

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

model a series of check dams as ponds
is it ok to just connect each pond together (see hydrocad model below)? my question is the tc I am using comes from the north west corner and down to the dam when the pond flows through the swale. DO i need to separate these somehow?

hydromodel.png
hydromodel.png
[/URL]]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

my question is should the tc be modeled like this? even tho it doesn;t show most hydrologically distand point I feel likt it is modeling the flow throught the swale? now sure. thanks

checkdams2.png
checkdams2.png
[/URL]]

just note my first picture is also 3 subcatchments i just forgot to outline them with red like I did in the third pic

The Tc should be calculated just to the next node. The pond routing is already causing a a time delay due to routing effects. Including the pond in the Tc calculation will double-count that portion of the flow path and should be avoided.

If the distance between the check dams is significant (1000+ feet) you might use an intervening reach to simulate the travel time.

For details see and

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

after doing some reading i think my first approach may be the right one? no need to add another tc for flow from one pond to the next? hydrocad calcs the time to fill up each pond in the routung calcs? no sure. thanks

thanks psmart, so my first 2 drawings ( i know they are crude ) look like a good aproach to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back