Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Model space vs paper space 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpa

Civil/Environmental
Dec 10, 2002
US
I never use paper space. I know I am not the only one but I was just wondering how small a minority are we model space users.

It seems easier to just load a block of my drawing format, ie title block, borders etc that is scaled up by a factor equal to the plot scale ratio. I also scale up my text at the same time. That way I can see exactly what my drawing layout is while I am working on it. Paper space just seems like a lot of unnecessary additional work.

What do you think?

DPA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One of the Pros of working with paperspace that I have found is that all details can be drawn in place at 1:1 scale. The size of the detail can then be adjusted in paper space. This means that the detail does not need to be copied out of the larger view, which also reduces file size.

For simple 2D drawings, I find no compelling need for paper space. But, I still use it!!!

I have just gotten into the habit of putting the model in model space and everything else in paper space. My template drawings have title blocks already there so all I have to do is draw in model space and open one or more viewports in paper space. No extra time, really and lots of flexibility for elarged detail views painlessly.

For 3D drawings, paper space is mandatory in my opinion.

I like paper space for another reason, also: We plot to three devices (11x17 laser, Adobe pdf and roll feed ink jet). It is really nice to have three layouts in our default template drawing, with title blocks in each. I make the model (2D or 3D) in paper space and viewports in all paper space layouts. When it is time to plot I can use "Publish" and send many drawings to which ever plotter I want. This saves oodles of time when I have to make sets of dozens of drawings for approval (pdf) or shop (11x17). One command and it is done! Even saved for next time.

I like paper space because you don't have to worry about dim scales. You just set up your dim styles to be what you want for a given layout size and then don't worry about it.

It's also nice when you want to do a scaled-up detail view - you just dimension it like everything else; you don't need to alter the linear scale.

Lastly, it's nice to be able to have certain entities show up in certain view ports but not others.

I find paper space to be much more efficient than using model space for plotting.

I was a hold-out but once I learned how to use it, I've never looked back.

NanoMan-
Well put! I adopted P-Space back at r-11/DOS and have had nothing but success with it. I was able to create powerful operating environments in P-S that even migrated well as I moved into ACAD-3D. I've found the biggest speed-bump to P-S is the users who are doing a top job without it, and their understandable reluctance to migrate processes and legacy drawings forward. Oh well, mastering both approaches keeps us on our toes!
Good luck-
cfee

To IFRs, You said that you do 3d models in paperspace? That's impossible, the paperspace layout tab does not have a third dimension.

Also, I too was a hold out until I finally learned what PS was all about and have never wanted to go back. The greatest thing is that I have only one dimension style and once you set your dimensions to scale to the viewport you don't have to remember any more scale factors or scaling up or down or which text size to use in which scale or all of that nonsense. The other key is understanding viewports. Also all of my models, whether 2d or 3d, are drawn at full scale in model space only. That's the way AutoCAD was intended to be. That's why its called MODEL space- it's where the model is drawn. Paper space is there to simply layout the drawing with a title block, dimensions, text and viewports.

I would use paper space for sure,
It is just easier to modify your drawings that way. IT may take a little bit of time to grasp all the concepts of it but once you understand it, it's pretty beneficial. It's alot easier just to create viewports to display your objects in model space instead of making blocks everytime. Plus its really good for when you want to display a drawing or section of a drawing at different scales. Why hold back and limit yourself to just modelspace??

I'm surprised that someone still has to ask this, but then again there are some on here who will swear that the board is faster than ACAD. Hands down, layouts and paper space are the way to go. As was stated earlier, model in model space, and put borders, dimensions, etc. on layouts. After looking at ACAD 2005 beta and it's sheet sets, if you haven't adopted layouts, you might want to start migrating to it.

Flores

A lot of us have been used to drafting and modelling, so don't blame us for prefering model space. Yeah, when there is need for flexibilty and ease on or off papers, model space is it. Moreover it can be scaled to any form for plotting in any size of paper. I think more relevance for 3d is increasing so sticking to model isn't a loss but more adventure in future.

The "board" actually was faster for quite some while, until AutoCad and computers in general were up to speed. That was a long time ago though. With today's more powerful software and younger, more Acad knowlegeable people in the ranks, the notion that pen to paper is faster, is lunacy.

I used to be a hardcore model space drawer. (I'm in subdivisions and commercial site plans) We had a layer lisp routine set up for all the layouts. So, there were many "sheets" on one model. This was great for its time, but when 2002 came along, the layout tabs and locking viewports, etc. made the auto-layer thing obsolete. I know many others who would shy away from paper space until 2002 came out.

My company is currently trying to use paper space for the first time. Everything is working all right, however we are having trouble getting out dimensions and text styles the same height from viewports with different scales in paper space. Also, when we dimension different objects in paper space, they do not come out to be the right value.

Any thoughts?

jrichm1

jrichm1,
The trick to having different scales is to set your dimscale to 0 (or in the dim style, check the box that says scale to layout under the "fit" tab)
Then, do all of your dimensions in "floating" model space. (you are on one of your layout tabs, but working in the viewport. make sure it is locked)
If you are set up this way, the dimensions and qleaders will come in based on what the scale of the viewport is that you are working in. It is very useful once you get it figured out.

Chris

Thanks, but I am still not getting the results I had hoped for. I need all of the text from each viewport to read the same size when I print. That way all of the text is consistent, however, I am ending up with really small and large text

JRICHM1
Scale factors are important in determing right height because this value is multiplied by the desired plotted text height to get the proper height. For example, if you want 1/8" high text to appear correctly on a drawing with a 1"=60' scale, calculate the Autocad height as follows:

1"=60'
1"=(60' X 12"/1')
720/1=720 The scale factor is 720
text height X scale factor = scaled text height
.125" X 720 = 90" The proper text height is 90"

Hope this helps - John

So are you saying that I need to set up a different scale factor for each viewport, and if so...do i do so by typing in linetypescale or text style. Or are you talking about a plotted text height, of which i am not familiar with.

The problem we are having is we received drawings from another company who drew everything including text and dimensions in model space

If you already have text in the drawing you will need to do some scaling. My method works for initially placing the text. Everything comes in based upon the scael of the viewport that you are working in. It all appears the same size when you print. If you go back into model space, each piece of text will be different sizes, much like creating different scale factors, however you don't have to create the scale factors, the dimscale of zero takes care of it. I can send you a sample drawing if you would like, it may make it easier to understand.
Let me know.
Chris

Hello jrichm1
Think about this situation. In MS, you place text of .125" at 1:1. Change to Ps, the default viewport is 1:1; thereby, the text in the viewport will be .125". The problem comes in when you use ZOOM command or simular command to change the aspect ratio to 1:2, 1:4, ect. This will change your text height. You have to think what you are going to do about text height in MS and what zoom factor you want to use in your viewport. In most drawing, I use only one zoom factor unless you bring in different drawings at different zoom factors; thereby, creating different text heights so they can be the same height in different viewports when plotting. Hope this helps - John

I just kind of skimmed thru the responses here so if someone has already pointed this out then I appologize for the repeat.

I do alot of site design/land development type work and we use AutoCAD 2004 in our office. Probably the biggest advantage I have found with using paperspace is the ability to have everything in model space and then my seperate sheets on individual tabs (i.e. Layout plan, Grading plan, Utility plan, etc.). This is easily accomplished by freezing unnecessary layers in each specific veiwport. For example, I'll freeze the contours on my layout tab but they will still be visable in the grading tab and in the model space tab.

I've also found it useful to place my sheet specific text in the appropriate layout tab so that I only have to have one text layer as opposed to a seperate text layer for each layout. This also takes the guess work out of text height. Our standard text height here is 0.09, and in paperspace is always 0.09 whereas at a 50 scale in model space the tex has to be 4.5 and at a 40 scale 3.6 etc.

Finally, using the layout tabs in conjunction with the page setup feature reduces plotting a drawing to merely opening it, typing plot, hitting OK, and picking it up off the printer. We have several engineers in our office that are not very CAD savvy and this is an especially nice feature.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back