Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MODEL TWIST DRILL 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryCadman

Mechanical
Sep 18, 2003
US
Has anyone succesfully and accuratly modeled a twist drill or similar tooling , and , is it worth the effort. Currently using UG V18.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have modeled screws and springs which have similar features. I would recommend you make a cylinder, then a helix. Then make a sketch of the cutout (cross section of one flute) you want to make at one end of the helix. Next, sweep the "cutout" through the helix and subtract that from the cylinder. This should give you what you need. For multiple flutes, make multiple helices and repeat sweeps for each one (4 flutes will require 4 helices).

Caveat: You must use the advanced sweep so that your swept cut stays parallel to your helix axis throughout. Choose Insert/Free Form Feature/Swept. Consult the CAST help for questions about sweeping this way. Good luck!

Hope this helps.

Hi,
Is this the methos that is to be used to model even multistart threads?? Or do we have anyother method.

Thanks in advance,
Karthik

A recommendation with sweep is to use two guide lines to avoid unwanted twisting. About multistart threads, I would guess that circular instance would do the trick

Just joined the forum. (Better late than never).
I have modelled various twist drills and multistart reamers. If anyone is still interested I can post some useful hints/tips and shortcuts.

Simon C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back