Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MODEL VIEWS

Status
Not open for further replies.

carliro

Mechanical
Oct 8, 2012
PL
Hi,

Is anybody aware if it is possible to move from the Part Navigator the Model Views and have it somewhere i.e. in quick bar or other location to have it easier to manipulate between changing views and Model History?

thanks
K.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What version of NX?

In NX 9 the canned views are available on the view ribbon (orientation group). Alternatively, you could right click in the graphics window and choose "orient view" (or "replace view" as necessary). Also, there are OOTB keyboard shortcuts for the canned views...

www.nxjournaling.com

This is NX9.0.3.4, for standard view yes it is possible to choose from the ribbon. But how to have a possibility to have in the ribbon custom views? or not in the ribbon but in other places in any bars?

thx
K.

That I am aware the best it's currently going to get for Custom Views is MB3 -> Orient/Replace View -> Custom Views

I'm guessing that since not all custom views are the same (orientation, name, etc.) that is why they're left out as an icon to place on any bar. Might be a good suggestion for an ER.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.3.4 Win7 Pro x64 SP1
Intel Xeon 2.53 GHz 6GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB

Yeah, I was working like this but it is pretty much time consuming also :). I have moved Replace View Icon to the quick access toolbar... this is better but still...
What I would like to have is using popup selection toolbar similar to the filter for objects (point, curve, face, body, etc....)

Maybe it is possible to create such thing?
thx
K.

Why do you change views ?
Are you working with PMI ?
Is there a type of workflow which is dependent on the specific View ?

I never change the view, i only rotate the whatever view i have on screen and then use F8 to snap to the correct orientation.

Regards,
Tomas

Carliro,

You're using custom views, so the software isn't going to "know" what orientation your custom view is going to be set until you go through those motions and name the view. On top of that, your custom views are not universally defined. For an icon to work, NX would have to have that information before you had any parts created and be able to embed that information into the defaults (settings or coding). The "canned" views (TOP, FRONT, RIGHT, LEFT, etc) are all predefined and based on the Absolute CSYS so Siemens is able to match a view name with a specific orientation.

While I won't argue that you have a valid point or a valid frustration, it's been this way for as long as I've used UG/NX (since UG v11) and I'm sure some users or recently retired Siemens employees could go even further back than that.

If it were me, I'd call GTAC and log an ER and tell them I wanted the ability to add Custom Views to the Canned View orientation commands and explain how this would be an improvement. You might explain it as a checkbox on the Custom View dialog that allows you check it if you want the views added to the Orient View/Replace View command group as well as the benefit of doing this (fewer mouse clicks, faster and easier access to the Custom Views, etc. Unchecking the box would remove the Custom Views as a choice on the Orient View/Replace View commands.

Hope that makes sense.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB

Ok Guys,

thanks for your help and suggestions.

Toost, yes I am working with PMIs and all new views that are created to show the definition have the specific name.
Xwheelguy, I try to push my idea further.

Summarizing I dont see any option to make my idea working using standard functionality of NX so next step seems to be that I need contact GTAC to have such functionality.

thx
K.

Please keep in mind that contacting GTAC and submitting an Enhancement Request (ER) is only a request. There is NO guarantee that the ER will ever be implemented or when it might be implemented.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB

How does one save a custom view in NX10 (without utilizing the soon to be deprecated drop down menu)? ...and anyone have any idea what will happen to the commands that are only available via the pull down menu, once the menu is toast?

Regards,
SS

CAD should pay for itself, shouldn't it?

The drop-down menu will never go away, period. It actually can't go away since that is where the real architecture of the UI is 'stored', at least in the sense that functions are first implemented such that they have been assigned a place somewhere in the drop-down menu domain and it's here that it's actually designed to work. Then the UI, be it Toolbars or the Ribbon, those are simply 'links' to the item in the pull-down menu. Prior to NX 9.0, there was NO single drop-down menu since they were spread across a series of smaller drop-down menus at the top of the NX window. Starting in NX 9.0 these individual drop-down menus were consolidated into a single, comprehensive drop-down menu where ALL the NX functions are accessible. And because they are accessible there they are then available to be referenced from the Ribbon. If you were to go in and edit the .men file which controls the content of the drop-down menu and removed an item, that function would no longer be accessible while running NX, even if there had been an Icon for it in one of the Ribbon tabs. Basically that icon would no longer 'point' to anything.

Awhile back someone asked how to PERMANENTLY remove a function from NX, even to the point that someone could not go in and use Customize to expose it again in the Ribbon. This is how we told them to do it, edit the main .men file for the drop-down menu and it would be gone for good. Of course if someone knew the proper 'calling' format for that particular function they could edit it back into the .men file, but if you made that file read-only under the admins protection, it would be like that function never excited in NX. Granted, you might able to write an NX Open routines to provide that functionality inside of NX, but that would be a lot work for someone.

John R. Baker, P.E.
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back