Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modeleing a ball beasring assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

looslib

Mechanical
Jul 9, 2001
US
Does anyone have some tips and techniques for modeling a ball bearing assembly? One of our engineers did one, but it is failing when we reopen the assembly file. The assembly constraints are being lost. If we freeze the assembly, the balls are not in the right location with the races.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm no ProE expert, at all, and I won't even pretend to be. But, it seems like a sound strategy would be to create an axis on each ball, and create corrosponding axes in one of the races. Constrain the balls to the race using the axis and plane, and it should work. If you pick a plane perpendicular to the axis, and a center plane on the race, you should be able to spin everything freely too. I find in my assemblies, "cntrl + alt" and drag with the mouse makes it possible to move things around live when the constraints are "packaged" as they seem to call it.

Again, I'm no expert. You've probably tried this. But, I hope something in here was helpful.

The way I found works the best is to model it as a single part, but if you want to model it as an assembly this is how I have always done it.

Part 1
1. Model the center raceway section using a revolve feature (creates axis).

2. place a datum point in the raceway on the same dia path of the center of the balls.

3. Pattern the datum point around the center axis of the raceway (each point is another ball).

Part 2
1. Model the ball and place a datum point in the middle.

Part 3
1. Model the outter raceway using a revolve feature.

Assy
1. Place part 1 (center raceway)

2. Place the first ball (part 2) and constrain the datum point in the middle to your first datum point in the circular pattern for the center raceway.

3. Referance pattern the ball to the datum point circular pattern in the center raceway.

4. Place and constrain part 3 (outter raceway) to part 1 (inner raceway). I recommend align center planes and insert (2 constraints)

Please look at the attached assy if you like for a better understanding.

V/R
Nathan
CAD Technician/ISO Director
Compass Systems, Inc. ( )

I download mine from SKF.com. The constraints have yet to fail on me.

That said, you can assemble the ball(s) and convert each one to "fixed". After all, there is nothing particularly parametric about the location of the balls within the races.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back