Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modeling 2 towers on the same etabs model

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertsaad6280

Structural
Oct 14, 2010
LB
dear all,
can i model 2 towers separated by an expansion joint above the ground floor level but the 2 basements level without jopint. i try to model but i found that the results are strange and espacially in dynamic analysis. what about scaling of results?
thankssssss

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i have modeled completely separate objects simultaneously before, to test differing bracing configurations, etc. so it should be possible.

What is strange about the results?

As I understand, you want to evaluate each towers results seperately but they are combined at the basement levels, am I right?
After your dynamic analysis completed it is expected to get strange results because of your structural shape, in deed your mass source.
You must keep your stiffness matrix as if it is, but for each tower you turn on its mass and turn off the others mass.
Otherwise at each story level program will sum up all masses at that level and calculate mode shapes accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back