Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modeling a beam connecting to a vertical concrete surface STAAD Pro V8i

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherokeedesign

Structural
Jan 2, 2013
US
I am new member to this forum. I have had STAAD for about 12 years, but I only used it to self teach a little of it. I am modeling a 4 story "office" building with a plan of 100' X 100', 20'X25' bays with a 20'x20' concrete "surface" elevator /stair tower. The building floors are concrete slab & steel deck composite. I want to use the concrete tower which is located in the center of the building as lateral bracing. I want to connect the floor steel beams to the concrete surface. Can some one help, as I don't know how to model these connections?

Thanks for any help, billbe

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Connectivity is always at the node points. So please ensure that you have the concrete tower modeled with a mesh of plates and have the steel beams split up in a way such that their intermediate nodes match with the plate mesh nodes.

Cherokeedesign,

I agree with Sye123 that the nodes for the plate meshing and the beams need to line up.

Also, depending on what your connection will look like, depends on what end releases you place on the member. You could have a simple shear connection (release MZ and MY) or you could have a moment connection (do not release anything). Each of these depends on what type of connection you need and/or are would like to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back