Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modeling a rigging wire rope in RISA 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Structural noob

Structural
Jan 2, 2020
US
Hello folks!

I was wondering if there is a way to model a axial only member in RISA such that it would take no moment. I'm trying to model a wire rope that is picking up a frame at 4 points and would prefer it to be an axial only (tension only) member. Right now I have modeled it as a tension only member but I am still seeing pretty high moments in the wire rope which for some reason don't show up in the detailed report that RISA generates - see RISA snapshot here ->
wire_rope_moment_xyxg99.png

Is the moment due to P-delta irregularities? I do get a warning from RISA which says "Could not obtain accurate results of sectional deflections and moments with Geometric Nonlinear Stiffness P-delta method. Please consider adding internal nodes or subdividing the member" When I add a couple of nodes to the four wire rope members the moment goes away. But I was just curious if there was a way to model Axial only members in RISA so as not to add any internal nodes.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not familiar with the down and dirty of RISA, but some software won't do tension only members with some types of non-linear analysis. Might want to check if that's the case here. If they're not aligned in a way where they could take compression, what if you model it as a truss member instead?

Is the moment all due to self weight? I've used a weightless material property for tension only rods before when the model acts up.

One of the key ideas here is that RISA does not have a true "cable" member. So, anytime you want that type of behavior you are using a "frame" member to approximate that behavior.

Some words of caution:
a) The first thing (which is mentioned in that other thread) is that you should probably use a material with 0 density so that self weight doesn't cause weird moments and deflections.

b) You really only want to model cables that can be adequately represented by a STRAIGHT LINES. Like an guy wire or such. Why is this? Anytime the "cable sag" effect will be significant the cable behavior will be NON-LINEAR which RISA can't really handle.

c) For Guy wires and other straight cables that require pre-tension to remain straight, it is a good idea to add a negative thermal load to create the pre-tension. The RISA help file discussion on thermal loads should have some discussion on how to calculate this load.

Disclaimer:
I was the head of tech support and training and such for much of the 16 years that I worked for the old version of RISA (before they were bought by a software conglomerate). While I still consider myself something of a RISA expert, I have not used the program very much since 2018. I'm sure they've added new features since then. If they've added a cable element, then I will have very little knowledge of it's development and testing. My comments refer specifically to the way the program worked when I was there.

Also, I now work for one of RISA's main competitors (CSI / SAP2000). The analysis capabilities of the CSI programs generally have a lot more non-linear capabilities than RISA (including cable elements). Though I am still learning about much of our non-linear features. Regardless, I have some personal and professional reasons to be biased on this subject (RISA and non-linear features). Therefore, please understand that my comments about RISA may include my bias and may be a bit out of date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back