Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modeling a symmetrical part

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkelecy

Mechanical
Jun 9, 2003
US
I'm modeling a part that essentially looks like a three-leaf clover. Due to the symmetry, I've only sketched 1/6 of it, and should be able to form the rest through a combination of mirroring (to form one leaf) and patterning (to duplicate the other two).

My questions are:

1. Is it better to, (a) mirror and pattern the 1/6 *sketch* (to form a sketch of the whole part) and then extrude that into a 3D solid, or (b) extrude the 1/6 sketch into a 1/6 solid, then mirror and pattern it?

2. If I want to edit the sketch that a solid was extruded from, how do I get back into the sketch mode? I looked in PathFinder expecting to see some reference to it, but there wasn't any.

Thanks for the help. -Pat

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pat,
I was looking at V19/20 as I don't have access to V21 or ST, so some of my terminology and steps may be a bit different.
If the start-end of the arc is constrained to the original hole it shouldn't move.
Make sure you HAVE constrained the end point, not just a 'point on'.
Also there's nothing to stop you moving the arc so that it matches the pattern position - you can easily do that with an angular dimension.
It sounds like you are doing pretty well, and you are certainly asking the right questions.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back