Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modeling fluid in a well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor W

Geotechnical
Feb 7, 2023
US
Hi all,

I'm trying to model fluid flow in a vertical wellbore in Abaqus, including heat transfer and pore pressure. I currently have a geostatic step and a step where I model the fluid flow using convection, pore pressure, and pressure BCs/loads. I want to add another step where I stop the fluid flow and allow the fluid and rock temperatures to equilibrate through conduction, but I can't find a way to model that. I'm also wondering if there's a more direct way to model my second step. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Exactly what are those BCs and loads related to pore fluid flow and how are they applied ? Some screenshots showing them may also help, in addition to the description.

Here is my input file. I should clarify that the fluid flow is straight upward parallel to the well wall, but there is some pore fluid seepage, which I model with a pore pressure boundary condition. I'm trying to model a drill spurting mud up to the surface, but for simplification, I'm not modeling the actual drill, just the fluid flow against the well wall. I haven't found a way in Abaqus to actually insert a fluid into the well, so I'm modeling it indirectly. When I say I want to model the fluid flow, I mean the flow upwards. I'm already modeling the pore fluid flow.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=da53aece-1209-4f2d-adb2-0241561dd06a&file=2DInfiniteWellboreJob.inp
Have you seen the documentation examples "Axisymmetric simulation of an oil well" and "Hydraulically induced fracture in a wellbore" ? There are some other ways to model fluid flow more realistically but they are not meant for such highly geotechnical applications but rather for stuff like sloshing for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back