Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modeling ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

CADSkills

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2007
US
Can anyone give me some input on how to model this.
I'm using SE fairly new to its more advanced modeling. in SW i'm sure i'd be able to work it out. but SE is the tool i have to use right now.

its a shelled housing. I'm having trouble mostly with the top curved surface intersecting with the cylider, i need a smooth transition. and also the curved cut in the front face of the part.

any ideas would be awesome, i'm stumped. I know the image here doesn't give too much info, but its all i've got to show. I do have the actual part infront of me.

THANKS

Solidworks 2005
Solid Edge V17

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure of what it is you are trying to model there.

I would try making a surface with multiple sketches. Then use the Thicken command to build the part from the surface.

If not that method, Then

Build the outter profile of the part, then use Thin-Wall to hollow it out.

My biggest issues with the Thin-Wall command tend to be from fillets. I sometimes have to make smaller fillets afterward.

Not sure if any of that helps, Good luck.

This is complex but totally feasable. Here is how I would approach it.

I would create the first surface with bluesurf probably (basic curved shape without considering what's happening in the middle) creating basic side and top sketches to start and adjust the shape with added sketches or curves. Then trim at the center using a contour curve or an interstecting extruded surface for example.

Then, I might need to split that first surface in four in order to split the internal edge of the surface into multiple edges (using planes or contour curves for example) to be used as start, end, guides for subsequent surfaces.

So, after that, I would create the first inside surface making sure you select the edges of the surface (and not a derived curve for exemple), this way you will be able to select 'curvature or tangent continuous' in the options of the blue surf probably. You might need to repeat this for the various surfaces in the middle.

Then, you can stitch the three surfaces (or more) and use thicken to create the solid. Finally, I guess you will need to project a sketch with the cutout shape on the stitched surface and use normal cutout for example.

If you decide to start in solid directly (loft protrusion, loft cutouts, followed at the end by a thin wall) make sure you select edges of solid faces (and not curves or sketches) if you want to enable 'tangent and curvature continuous' for the extents (notion of depth when selecting the element of a surface or a solid)

HTH,

Fred

Thanks for the input. I'll work thru the suggestions see what i come up with. I think i'll probably model it at home in SW also just for the heck of it.

Solidworks 2005
Solid Edge V17

Possibly, but i have more experience w/SW. Haven't yet started it in SW, but i think may be a few functions in SW that are not in SE(v17) that could help.

Solidworks 2005
Solid Edge V17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back