Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modeling Ocean Waves in HydroCAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffd64

Civil/Environmental
May 13, 2013
US
Hello,

I have a pond that is separated from the ocean via berm. Does anyone know how to model waves overtopping the berm in HydroCAD?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jeff,
If the ocean is overtopping a berm, hydraulic modeling of a pond is probably moot. It is likely that models of coastal flooding ignore depressions such as ponds (they will be filled). Is there a flood study for this area?

Modeling an ocean wave is fore sure a tricky thing.

You won't be able to model ocean waves with a software like HydroCAD.

If you're not familar with words like wave period, nonbreaking wave, ahallow vs deep water... stay away from this!

Depending what is the scope of the study (and budget $), you might have to use a 2D model to simulate the wave runup action over the berm.

SMIAH,

I have some understanding of wave period, nonbreaking wave, ahallow vs deep water. But are there any 2D models that are free?

psmart,

I do not the inflow of the wave and is the reason why I need to model it...

any advice on how to estimate the inflow?

you might try the Eurotop manual, there is some online software that can calculate overtopping rate due to wave runup on berms and seawalls. you will need wave period and design height which come from a wave study. alternatively, find the shore protection manual and brush up on your calculus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back