Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modeling Open Channels in Hydraflow

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNYPE

Civil/Environmental
Jul 23, 2008
US
Using the standalone versions of Hydraflow Express, Stormsewers, Hydrogragphs. Also had easy access to the Civil 3D extensions, but haven't used them yet.

Trapezoidal channel, and the cross-section stays the same for the length of the channel. Due to site restrictions, the alignment cannot be modified much- one edge sits on the property line, tying into the existing contours. The other end is adjacent to a soil buttress that is part of a slope stabilization. The channel slope varies along the flow path of the channel.

I thought there was some way to model this uniform geometry trapezoidal channel with changing bottom slope in Hydraflow. I need to determine velocity, freeboard, and hydraulic jump locations to complete my design and prepare the design report.

Any thoughts on how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Suggest you use HEC-RAS. It's free, and for this simple problem, would be as easy to learn and use ad Hydraflow. Hydraflow, by the way, is no longer available or supported except by Autodesk.

good luck

Probably of more importance is the question: where did you get your design flows ? If they are based on any of the available hydrology methods they are likely to be no more reliable than 30% to 50%. Even greater errors of estimate are common.

good luck

HEC-RAS. I can't believe I didn't think of that- I've only been using it for 6 years.

Thanks for your help.

I know that Hydraflow is not longer available as a standalone. Since their website is gone, I don't have access to their user forums anymore.

The design flows have to be generated using the Rational Method- it's the city code. Fairly inaccurate, but it's what is required, so I've built in a bunch of safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back