Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modeling Program ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghengis_chad77

Civil/Environmental
Sep 30, 2016
US
To Whom It May Concern,

My company is a Structural / Mechanical design firm, specializing in Bulk Materials Handling. I am a junior Engineering Intern. I have been tasked with investigating possible software upgrades. Currently we used STAAD for Structural Modeling, and SDS/2 for our detailing. In order to increase efficiency, we would like a program that can go from Engineer to Designer to Detailer communicating effectively. Our current system leaves much to be desired. A great deal of information is lost because the STAAD model and SDS/2 Model are created independently, with only word of mouth as the information flow. Any ideas out there would be most appreciated.
After some review of available software I feel no more able to answer the question than I was before. Programs like Solidworks, Autodesk Robot, Autodesk Inventor, Tekla, etc. have been investigated. In each case I am not able to take the programs to their full potential or unable to get every capability that we need.

We have a need for a structural design program that can do the following:

1) Combined steel member and weldment models, meaning a steel beam attached to a steel plate weldment and force transfer between those two.
2) Steel Plate Weldment modeling, including Finite Element Analysis.
3) Dynamic Modeling of Structural Systems.
4) Connection design especially HSS Truss connections.
5) Design Drafting and Detailing of designed Structural Systems

If anyone out there knows where I can find a program or package of programs that can do everything I have mentioned Please let me know. I would also be interested in hearing about any training opportunity in any of these programs, and any trainer / sales rep contact information.

Thank You

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm guessing you looked at RAM Connection? I know it is compatible with STAAD. It has quite a few connections, and can export to DXF. However, I've used it in conjunction with RAM Structural system and it was ok, but not great. The only program I have that does HSS truss connections is RISA, which I'm not sure if the finite element analysis is going to be as good as STAAD, and the rest of the connection module isn't great. They have free demos that aren't very restrictive if you want to take a look at it.

I use Risa Connection, and I really like it. It is purely for connections, so you enter the members you are connecting and the forces, the connection plates (if any) welds, bolts, ... and you get a 3D model to verify your inputs. You can export the views to autocad with labels for details. It does have HSS member connections, I haven't used much but assume they work great like the Wide Flange shapes. I bought the whole RISA suite, but haven't used the rest of it yet. It is supposed to all work together

--Luke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back