Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modeling Question. Making multiple models all based on seed part. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaydenn

Mechanical
Jan 13, 2005
CA
Hi,
I am working in NX5.

Here is the situation.
I am manufacturing a part from a forging. The guys I am working with require "stage models", that is, a Solid model that represents the exact part at any particular point in the process.

So, basically I need to create about 10 individual model files.

When I am creating these models, I basically start with the forging and I "cut" out the features I am going to machine. Voila, stage 1 part.

For Stage 2, I start with a copy of stage 1 model and cut...
For Stage 3, I start with a copy of stage 2 model and cut...

Repeat, repeat, repeat....

You get the idea...

NOW, between these models there is NO associativity. If design requires a change to the first model...I need to open up all 10 models and change the feature 10 times.

My question is, Is there a way to have all of the parts somehow linked and associative starting with the forging yet still be individual stand alone part files?

JAY

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Start with your first model.

Open a new file and add the first part as an assembly component. Promote the part in the assembly and perform your operations on it and save.

Open a new file and add the second part as an assembly component. Promote the part in the assembly and perform your operations on it and save.

Repeat as needed.

I mention "promote" because I tend to use that rather than Wave geometry linker. Depending on the complexity of your operations, Wave may be more appropriate.

Bring 'step 1' into 'step 2' as a component and create a linked body. You can now perform your operations at this level. Create 'step 3' and bring 'step 2' in as a component and again create a linked body from 'step 2' and perform the next set of operations. You can keep doing this until you are finished with all the operations. If any files downstream are modified the changes will follow through to the top level.

Ron
Design Analyst

I almost think it would be easiest to do this using part families. Create your part in it's finished stage, then create a part family that turns off specific features or feature groups in your part navigator to achieve all the desired stages of machining.

Thanks,

That seems like exactly what I am looking for.

I do have WAVE, and I am playing with it now.
I cannot get the bodies to update however... Despite the fact that they say "associative" on them...

How do I need to set up my files in order to link all the bodies correctly?

I will play around with the promote option aswell.

J

Or...take the part, called "master part", and perform sequentially every operations. Go back to the point when you need the first "partial model step 1" and perform an extract body at timestamp, then repeat the same for the second, and so on...

You could do it with Wave geometry linked each "step body" in a component, and it is all associative.

Best regards

Pepe Company

You only need the Assembly and the Modeling module to create WAVE-linked objects. The WAVE module provides for several advanced capabilities, but it is not required to actually create and use WAVE links in your models and assemblies.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Sorry I'm late to the party. You'll have noted by now that posters have suggested two possible solutions either Promotions or Wave linking the bodies. Either is good and the advantages or disadvantages of using either after many such discussions turn out to be mostly semantic in cases like yours. I think I slightly prefer promotions in some cases this one is so line ball that unless there are technical reasons that I'm unaware of I'd feel free to go either way.

Cheers

Hudson

It has been a while, but i think you need to set your load options correctly to get the Linked bodies to update automatically.

If I remember correctly it has to do with load interpart data. If this is not checked you need to double click the Linked body to get it to update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back