Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modeling Reed Valves in GT Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickrakovec

Mechanical
Sep 7, 2012
US
I'm working on a two-stroke diesel engine model in GT-Power and I'm trying to look at different cases of controlling EGR. One method I want to look at is using a reed valve to drive the EGR and possibly control the EGR rate. I know that this is done commercially in some cases but I'm not that familiar with these types of reed valves. GT-Power has a "ValveReed" component, but there is a lot of user defined parameters where I'm not sure what value to enter. One problem is that I don't have access to any commercial reed valve suppliers to get data from a real reed valve to model. Does anyone have any advice on how to use this component or information on actual reed valve specifications? Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nick, who'll take care of the dyno while you're modelling?
Either talk to Brian or can you populate the neccesary parameters of the generic reed valve in GT Power using Blairs book?
He talks a fair bit about them.
BTW a reed valve isn't a particularly durable component for a commercial truck application such as a Volvo or even a Fairbanks engine.

You could ask Aby but he's more than likely busy in the shop on his Mitsubishi.

Tke care

Sideways To Victory!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back