Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Modeling strut with connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jball1

Mechanical
Nov 4, 2014
US
Apologize for the really basic question. I am modeling a strut acting between two points that has different releases on each end (fixed on one end, one moment released on the other). Do I need three connectors to represent the strut? One each to represent the releases on each end, and then a second to represent the axial and rotational stiffnesses of the strut member itself? Or is there a way to do this with a single connector? Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks. Yeah, that would work. The truth is I want to start using connectors more frequently in my models, and so I saw this as a possible opportunity to do so. Connectors have a lot of capabilities that I'm not very familiar with. But I don't really need them in this instance.

I guess one reason why I'd like to use them here is that I wanted to explore the failure capabilities of connectors on this job. The particular item and loading case that I am modeling is likely going to result in catastrophic failure, and I think that the failure capability of connectors would allow me to fairly easily capture this in an animation which I think the customer would appreciate. But it's certainly not necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back