Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modeling text suitable for machining?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rghay

Mechanical
Feb 25, 2003
US
Using NX4, soon to change to NX5 or NX6. We build models of parts to be either sand or permold cast. Text (part number, strength, Pat #, etc) is required to be cast in the part as raised letters. Character height=0.125 and must extend 0.031 above surrounding surface. Standard fonts always seem to be a problem for the toolmaker as spaces between elements of characters does not permit even a 0.030 radius tool to cut the letters.

What are others doing to get text in their tooling?

I am thinking a custom font is needed, but looking for other solution.

Thanks in advance for responses.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried using the Text command (Insert -> Curve -> Text)? Be sure to try this out with all the fonts you have installed on your computer. You also might have to switch your Role to Advanced with Full Menus in order to see the Text command.

Our mold makers have a template of letters that meet a Japanese Industrial Standard which covers height, engraving depth and kerning (spacing), so whatever engraving we show on the drawings or parts are shown just for visual reference purposes only, not for machine shop usage.

I used to place each hand-drawn (in CAD) character in order to control the kerning but that became too time consuming and wasn't worth the time spent IMO.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Tim:
Yes, we do use the Text command (Insert -> Curve -> Text) to creat the text and then extrude it and unite it to the part. Problem is after trying numerous fonts, we always wind up with the toolmakers complaining about the text and charging us additional for laborious hand work.

Can someone recommend a specific font to use and parameters such as height, draft, etc. that has worked for them.

Modeling text is not the issue; but, text suitable for CNC machining is.

Providing us with a list of the fonts you already have might be of some help, I'd think.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Tim:

We have no custom or 3rd party fonts, only those that are part of Win XP Pro.

I'll try to get a listing and post.

The "ARIAL" font seems to work best for us, although results are still disappointing.

You can change the spacing between characters and lines in the font options. Maybe play around with those values until you get something you can use.

If you can allow the tool makers some flexibility with the exact font and spacing, and provide curve geometry rather than surfaces or solids, they should have an eaiser time creating toolpaths.

I suspect that the problem is they are required to follow your exact 3d geometry or risk liability and rework.

When you provide solid geometry it will have sharp corners, poor spacing, varying character line widths... programming to a centerline simplifies things greatly, and removes all these 'constraints' from the tool maker. Some programming packages include shortcuts for generating engraving, where the programmer will re-create the engraved text on the fly using your supplied geometry as a visual reference only.

Of course when you get into logos or very specific fonts, it can be tougher.

NX 5.0.3.2 MoldWizard

Don't forget that you have lots of flexibility with the fonts by adjusting the aspect rato, space factor (between characters), line space factor, and angle (for itallics). That is all located under "Style".

I do not remember the specific font that I used the most, but Folio comes to mind.

oops, I was wrong about the itallics comment on my last post.

If you want the text to be itallics then (in the line of text) preface the text with <I**> where ** is the angle that you want the itallics to be. Below "TEXT1234" will be seen with a 15 degree itallics.

<I15>TEXT1234

jerry,

I think the OP was asking for suggestions about TrueType fonts and the Text command in Modeling, not NX Drafting fonts (Annotation).

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Oh ok.
I thought what he would do is tweak the text using "style" and then extract the curves from the text (mentioned above), and then extrude the text for the casting model.

jerry,

While the particular workflow/method you outlined would work for this situation, I'm reading his posts as if he's got the workflow down but he's wanting a specific font that will give him the spacing between each character that the mold maker feels is best for their tooling and process.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Does nobody know of such a font and what are the criteria that would make one font superior to another?

I imagine that most complex fonts would need to be contour milled with a ball nosed cutter if you want to cut them in raised relief. The problem being that with insufficient spacing between characters there may not be space for the cutter to reach the base of some letters that are too close together. This is the problem know as or referred to in terms of Kerning.

As I understand it none of the fonts that NX contains under Insert>Curve>Text have worked for anyone thus far, and yet there is an option for Kerning under that function. Are we saying that that function doesn't work?

I'm just keen to guess what is preferred for manufacturing. Arial with kerning turned on looked pretty good to me, but perhaps were looking to request an enhancement such that the kerning spaces can be increased using a parameter in the dialogs?

Hudson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back