Modeling thin steel sections connected by bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

mon1299

Civil/Environmental
Sep 15, 2006
CA
Hi Everyone,
I want to model a built up steel sections connected by series of bolts using ansys which will act just like a beam. As the thickness is less than 1 inch , I think I can use the shell element. But I dont know how I can model the bolts? I want to know the mid span deflection of the built up sections.If any one can give me some advice what I can do that will be great.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi

You can do this by modeling the shell elements at a distance of 2x 1/2 thinkness of the shell elements. Then you will need to model the holes of the bolts at both shells. The nodes at the circel, that are generated at both shell can be given an bonded contact.

Hoop it helps

Grtz
Garry

hi Garry,
Thanx a lot for ur advice. I will try that. Can you tell me wheather I can apply both the contact element and the CERIG command for a problem subjected to large deformation?
Again thanx
papia

Hi Garry,
I tried to model bonded contact.Problem is using contact wizard I cant define the surface of the shell element to create contact element. If I use ESURF command then I dont know how to define bonded contact. I think bonded contact is only valid for surface to surface contact. When I define the nodes of the hole as contact or target element, it gives me error. I am using Cont174 and Targ170. Please give me some advice what can I do to resolve it
regards
Papia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back