Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modeling torsion springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveVan

Mechanical
Dec 10, 2002
US
I'm using Wildfire 2.0. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to model a torsion spring with hook ends on both ends. I can model the spring but i'm having a hard time controling the angle of the hooks. I would like to make a family table of the torsion spring in the relaxed state, the pre-load state, and in the fully rotated state. I would like to control the spring by changing the angle of the hooks. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've made models of torsion springs for a previous employer.

From what I remember, I modeled it completely as curves first, so no helical sweep feature was used (see the trajpar trick for making a helix with a variable section sweep). I modeled the curves for the hooks in pieces, sketching the hook or straight section and then creating another curve thru points to join the hook to the helix. Finally I made a composite curve (use edit-->copy in WF2) out of all these curves to get a single trajectory for a sweep. You'll have a lot of stuff to put on a blanked layer by the end of this process.

I then made a single variable section sweep for the solid. I remember that my model wasn't exact, but it didn't really matter (in my case).

Hope it works out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back