Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modeling Tubular Frames 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DgenR8

Mechanical
Aug 28, 2001
US
Hi all,

I was wondering what the common method is for modeling a tubular frame, ie. a rollcage in a car.

I have been working with the "pipe" protrusion option, and making nodes with datum points where the members come together. This works good, but problems arise when there is a junction of more than one tube at a node. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make a new tube butt up against the existing tubes without running through them. (I want something similar to the "Extrude --> Up to surface" functionality).

I'm just trying to get an idea on what methods others use for these types of models.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assuming you have low-level surfacing capability, you could create surfaces out of the pipe exteriors, then if the surfaces still intersected, you can trim the surfaces.

Unfortunately, the standard pipe functionality is pretty limited. I know of no 'Up to Surface' function in the standard pipe functionality. I posted a question some time back regarding being able to specify a flared end feature on a pipe...for mating to another pipe of the same size. My assumption is that the Pro/PIPING module could allow more funtionality for our issues, but I don't have enough work to justify it.

Without Pro/PIPING, I can't even create parametric bend tables for drawings...something I thought would be standard functionality.

Recneps

Recneps, I think surfaces would work well.

I'll sweep a circular x-section over a datum curve. This is just like using the "pipe" function, except you have to use a few more keystrokes. Then I can merge the surfaces to get rid of the extra material.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back