Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modeling Twisted Pair Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken1111

Mechanical
Sep 9, 2003
US

Need help modeling twisted pair wire along a helical path to simulate a cable construction. Two circles (wire) must twist as they follow a helical path.

Any advice.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to use law curves. There is an example somewhere of a coiled phone cord. You could use this example and then double it. I have the example at work, but I can't remember where I got it or the tutorial that went with it. Look around for phone coord on the GTAC support site. It may have been in a GTAC newsletter.

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, try FAQ731-376

There's also a CADPo Tech Tip on law curves that shows something similar to the phone cord as well.
Go to news>tech tips and look down at the bottom of the UG section for 'fun with law curves'

Hope this is some use...

Simon C

1. Create the helix path, either by modelling a normal helix, or by using curves by equation.
2. Create a datum plane at the endpoint of the helix, using point on curve option for datum.
3. Create a sketch on datum, with a line from helix endpoint to a circle center defining wire diameter. The line endpoint should be coincident with helix (or law curve, by equation) endpoint. Line should be a reference object in sketch.
4. Do a swept of the sketch along the helix. As orientation, use law curve, linear between two values or maybe by equation if the twist should not be constant.
5. copy feature sketch and swept, to produce second wire. Adjust the angle dimension value in the sketch to produce wire opposite the first one.

Hopes this make sence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back