Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modeling Water Tank Using Ansys

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifofafa

Structural
Apr 7, 2004
SY
Dear All,

I am a new user of ANSYS 13. I am going to model a ground water thank exerted to seismic loads.
I am using shell to model the tank walls, where the water is modeled using Fluid80 solid element.
some constrains is needed to guided water to be kept into the walls limit, i.e. the fluid elemet to follow wall shells in normal direction where its free to move tangentialy and verticaly.

so I have to couple the nodes of shells(walls) and volume(fluid80) in normal direction.

I already used coupling coincident nodes to do that, but fortunately the fluid element is behave to pull the shell element during it goes away from it which is not correct ( i.e the water cannot pull the wall of tank).

it seems that they should be coupled in compression only where in tension the water (fluid element ) should flow tangentially to wall shells.

is there any way to do that correctly?

hope you can support me

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can create a contact between fluid and tank walls.
In this way the contact act only if the fluid pushes against the tank and not viceversa

hello
I'm doing a model of a cylindrical oil storage tank in free vib using ansys 11 (The wall of tank with SHELL63)and the fluid with fluid 80
i used for shell63 (E=2e11 N/m2 , density=7850 Kg/m2 , PRXY =0.3 )
and for fluid80 (E=1.65e9 N/m2, density=885 Kg/m2)
which value of PRXY should i use for fluid???
And after i do the coincidence and apply the load should i apply the gravity load even i use free vib only?? if yes how could i apply it??pleaseeeeeeeeeee any one could give me the ansys step of applying gravity load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back