Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modelling a protective foam around a skull

Status
Not open for further replies.

hasnun

Mechanical
Dec 10, 2014
MY
Dear all,

I have an orphan mesh of a human skull in Abaqus. What I would like to do is to create a foam and wrap it around the skull (around the forehead area). So how do I go about doing this in Abaqus? The skull has irregular geometry. Your help is truly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi IceBreakerSours, thank for your reply. I know about create the shell and solid from the mesh. I am interested in solid elements. But the problem is, if I would like to vary the thickness of the foam, would it be problematic? What if I wanted to play around with different designs as well, i.e. honeycomb foam. Would I be able to do this with that technique?

I always suggest creating complex geometries in your CAD program. A variable offset surface or offset honeycomb may even require a powerful CAD package.

I hope this helps.
Rob

Also, I noticed that you posted in the biomechanics forum. Generally this is frowned upon. I personally don't care but do like to see cross-reference links.

Rob Stupplebeen
OptimalDevice.com/blog
Rob's LinkedIn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back