Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modelling a rigid connector inbetween a single part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. Polyp

Mechanical
Dec 6, 2017
DE
hey !

I ve got a question concerning rigid bodies / connectors (I am realtively knew to abaqus but have a lot of experience with ansys).

I made a simplification of my problem: a c-shaped geometry (see attached picture) which is loaded with a single force.
I want a rigid wire inbetween (no change of length!), connecting the 2 branches. the 3 rotations in the connecting points shall be free.
I am interested in evaluating the reaction forece in the 2 connecting points.

How should I modle this connection?
I tried creating a connector section (MPC) and created a wire feature inbetween the 2 points, but I think MPC won t do the job.
I just fail creating a single rigid beam element inbetween the points...

Thanks for your help!

A.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=32287896-36b3-47b8-a388-fa98f880c90d&file=example.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A rigid connector in all DOF is the type "Beam". Only the translational DOF are fixed in a "Join".
See Abaqus Analysis Users Manual 31.1.5 Connection-type library

But you wont see reaction forces at the attached nodes, since connectors are not a boundary condition.
Place the connector/wire in a set, create a History Output Request for that set and activate CRF to get the connector reaction force as xy-plot in postprocessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back