Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modelling a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

parasite

Mechanical
Dec 18, 2007
GB
Gents, I am having trouble understanding how to generate an M4 thread of a bolt in the modelling environment. I don't really the help file. Can someone give me a step by step (descriptive) method for this please.
I have attached the file of the bolt (although technically a screw)

My boss says 'There are no problems, only opportunites to prove yourself'.
I remain respecfully sceptical.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Excellent, thanks very much for the link. I drew the spring and discovered what the parameters actually do and then created the thread I needed.
On a related note, the thread starts short so doesn’t look correct. Is there a way to extend the thread so that it intersects with the underside of the head?

File attached for reference

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5c0ead34-22c5-436d-af03-34922cfcb2ab&file=m4-t_bolt.prt.5
think of it like you are cutting the thread in terms like a machinist does.

On a lathe.. you are already in threading mode before you actually get to the threaded area of the part. You don't move to that area then engage... you thread some air first.
You stop in a necked down area if you can't go all the way across , say because of a bolt head etc.

Which would mean? :)

Agreed, thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back