Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Modelling an S.M.A in ANSYS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tku17

Mechanical
Feb 3, 2002
GB
I am currently doing my 3rd year project as paert of Masters degree and it involves modeeling an S.M.A (SHape Memory Alloy) in ANSYS but I have a problem. I am modelling a simple component and applying a force to it that should (and indeed DOES) take the material past its yield point, and the force obviously displaces the component. I then want to apply a new displacement to the component from its newly displaced postion. My problem is that when I remove the original force the componet springs right back to its original postion, when it should stay displaced (or at least partially displaced). I have tried a number of methods including using the FCUM command and also using Re-Starts and Load Steps but to no avail. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should have a look in this Proceeding of the Internationa Conference:
"Thermal Modelling of Shape-Memory Alloy Fixator for Minimal-Access Surgery" : C. Song, T.G. Frank, P.A. Campbell and A. Cuschieri (Material Science Forum Vols. 394-395 (2002) pp.53-56; 2002 Trans Tech Publications, Switzeland).

Good luck.

Tawada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back