Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modelling Bullet Impact using Abaqus

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1ke

Bioengineer
Sep 4, 2013
GB
Hi there,

Please can anyone help with a video tutorial or a step by step guide or a CAE or INP file of bullet impacting a material. I would to use this approach to model penetration of soft tissue using a bed of needles in Abaqus. I urgently require your help and would appreciate your prompt response.

Many thanks,

Kike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are a couple of projectile examples in the help file. In 6.9 one of them is "2.1.4 Eroding projectile impacting eroding plate". The exact location might be a little different if you are using a different version, but this should show how the problem should be set up.

HTH,
Dan

Han primo incensus

Hi k1ke!

We could be more helpful if you would provide more specific question. Projectile examples in help can be a good start as DanStro suggested (2.1.3 RIGID PROJECTILE IMPACTING ERODING PLATE, 2.1.4 ERODING PROJECTILE IMPACTING ERODING PLATE for Abaqus 6.10-1). However, here is few steps how to do it:

1. Create parts either in Abaqus either with other software and then import in Abaqus.
2. Create an assembly in a way that bullet is in a position right before the impact.
3. Define boundary conditions: probably wall or other structure had constrained nodes, and for bullet CREATE PREDEFINED FIELD - impact velocity.
4. Define contact. General contact is much better for impact problems and much easier to model than contact pairs.
5. Of course you will also need appropriate material properties.

Do you expect bullet penetrating through the material? If so, I would suggest you to read this. However finding appropriate material properties do describe damage of the material will be pain. You can find some properties for aluminum, steel and titan with uncle Google, but anyway these parameters must be tuned for your specific problem.

Good luck and let as know about your progress.

Cheers,
trickstersson

Hi Danstro and trickstersson,

Thank you for the info, which i'll get started on and will let you know if i'm successful.

Kind regards,

Kike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back