Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modelling Roller and Plate in 2D 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiroFlyo

Mechanical
May 19, 2015
CA
Hello everyone,

I am new to Abaqus but am interested in modelling the deformation of a roller against a plate (Attached picture for reference). I am investigating the impact wheel geometry has on the deformation.

I was wondering if it is possible to initially simplify the analysis initially be modelling in 2D. I have read reports that first modeled in the 2D and later 3D but geometry was axially symmetric. Does know if a roller and thick base-plate geometry is possible to simplify to 2D?

Assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b16045f7-28b0-4048-89a3-5a42f9a11965&file=Roller_Plate_Deformation.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A 2D plane strain model is acceptable but in certain cases the roll itself can bend and this can affect the load distribution. In your case the roll appears relatively large and could probably be replaced by a rigid body.

What if I am interested in deformation in view shown in the bottom left image of my first post? Can I simply create a rigid body rectangular profile to represent the roll compressing the plate? I am just having difficulty understanding when plane strain assumption/model can be applied.

I'm going over a few roller examples from the Abaqus manual which should help.

M-Flyo

Capturing deformation / all effects in the specific view mentioned, would require full 3D (see tip by Mustaine, not only equal but also thickness counts) but you could build a 1/4 model.. Maybe, except if the roll really has a very, very large relative size (I would say more than that shown in your pic...) so that the line contact is effectively spread out over quite a surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back