Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modelling steel-wood-steel connection. Job aborted. Request for suggestion to changes in model. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francis666

Civil/Environmental
Nov 20, 2019
MY
I created models. Wood: 1200*200*200 steel:600*200*10 bolts: 300 long with diameter 20. I set anisotropic properties for wood and include modulus of elasticity, poisson ration and shear modulus. i want to study the changes in displacement when steel plate is pulled out by force.
zzz_viggoy.png

I set steps,interaction properties, load, bc condition and finally mesh. Job is ran , however , it is aborted. What solutions shall i take? It is desperating.
My loading is pressure tat act outwards, and equals to 50N/mm2.Bc is encastre at end of the wood.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To make the job complete try the following changes (they should work, I checked it on your model and now it runs to completition):
- refine the mesh because it’s rather coarse in your model and there are some bad quality elements
- reduce initial increment size to 0.01, decrease minimum increment size to 1E-15 and change maximum number of increments to 10000
- enable automatic stabilization (specify dissipated energy fraction option with default settings)
- verify correctness of contact pair definitions, if you are not sure how to define them properly then use Find Contact Pairs tool to automatically create contact pairs (or use general contact)

To find the displacement of wooden column you can either remove remaining instances from viewport/replace the view with wooden part instance (using display group options) or request history output at selected nodes/reference points (RPs have to be coupled to the mesh first).

By the way, the mesh is still too coarse. Especially around the connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back