Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

modem interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

aemx

Electrical
Jan 18, 2000
GB
i am interested in the design of an alarm interface to a communications system and was hoping you could help.<br>
What my proposed system is meant to do is recieve an alarm alert and convert this to a text message then send it as an email to a specific computer(s). <br>
I figure i would be using a point to point protocol as the email pathway, but am having a bit of trouble designing the circuit, I think that the best way to get an initial system up and running would<br>
be through the use of maybe a mircocontroller and a modem attached.  Inputs<br>
to the unit from the home sensors would come in via the serial port.  (We<br>
would have a custom microcontroller monitoring your sensors or other<br>
inputs(s) and relaying this data to the single-board computer via the serial<br>
port.)  and a program would start that monitored the serial port.  When emergency conditions are<br>
met, a program would start running that performed an auto-dial and login to<br>
a local internet service provider.  Once this connection is established, the<br>
program will send an e-mail indicating the problem and perhaps what sensors<br>
had been activated, and then it will log off.<br>
Any pointers on the circuitry design would be greatly appreciated.<br>
I would like to thank you for your time<br>
Yours<br>
A.Ibrahim<br>
<A HREF="mailto:aimx@hotmail.com">aimx@hotmail.com</A>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There was a project in Silicon Chip Magazine last year called the Remote Modem Controller.&nbsp;&nbsp;It was based on a preprogramed PIC microchip controller. You would dial-in using Windows hyperterminal, login and check digital ins, control digital outs, measure temp. and 2 spare analog ins.&nbsp;&nbsp;The designer and supplier of the Pre programmed PIC had a first name of Leon. I e-mailed him to get assistance with the Modem connection.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm sure he could alter his program to do a dial-out and send an appropriate text string. (i just dont have his e-mail handy at present).<br>I'd be interested to know how an e-mail can be generated from an incoming string from a PC serial port. (Visual Basic or similar perhaps??)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back