Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modern Applications of Hot Rivets 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

flash3780

Mechanical
Dec 11, 2009
US
Just a curiosity, really, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any modern applications for hot-driven rivets. I was trying to think of someplace where they're commonly used (or used at all) in modern designs... and I couldn't. They used to be used all of the time in ships and bridges, but these days those sorts of things are just welded or bolted (as far as I know, anyways).

I know that rivets offer the benefit of arresting cracks which would propagate right through a weld. They also don't back out like bolts can, but I don't know if the cost of installation is worth the added benefits.

Thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

btrueblood said:
And to keep it sealed across temperature variation, no?
I think that separation due to thermal growth was dealt with by matching CTEs; I believe that the rivets and the tanks were generally both made of similar steels. Can't swear to it, though.

Either the same coefficent of expansion, or rivets had slightly less. Riveted boilers that were leaky when cold would tighten up and stop leaking when hot, even with the increaded pressure. Have not heard of a riveter boiler or pressure vessel made in the US/Canada in the last 30 years. I believe ASME work went to all-welded in the 1950's. However, I know of a railroad bridge that was all-riveted that was fabbed in the mid-1990's.

Per the original post.
A modern application of hot rivets, is the use of hot rivets on chain shackles by the coastguard on navigation aids i.e. channel marker bouys. I guess they don't want them coming loose.
B,E,

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back