Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modification ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

civeng800

Civil/Environmental
Oct 5, 2003
I need ideas on how to modify a backfill design. We already filled soil, and thought the retaining wall shouldn't be subjected such loads..We can't modify the retaining wall..What's the cheapest solution to eliminate the backfill load and maintain the same elevation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please be a bit more detailed on your project descriptions. How high is the wall? What is the nature of the backfill? What other wall geometry? What measures did you/did you not include? etc.
[cheers]

The backfill is standard drainage material, but the it's only 60cm higher than we want it..but there is no evidence of problems..but still we want to remove that 60cm load. Remember, we are looking for a cheap alternative design or modification that doesn't modify or touch the retaining wall.

You still haven't provided anything we can use to help you...

Please provide us with a detailed description of the site, the subsurface conditions, the fill specifications (grain size distribution, compaction type i.e. D698 or D1557, percent of optimum density requirement, etc.), wall type and design description, etc.

We're good - but we can't read minds. If you want our help, you'll need to provide us with sufficient information.

Does this have anything to do with the "k-value" question?

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 by [blue]VPL[/blue] for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I think you refer to use some kind of foam for the top 60 cm, with what you expect to get the same surcharge loads than in the project and good performance. Unfortunately foams are far more compressible than usual civil works and building structural materials. You may use arlite or other fills or concretes of low weight replacing more than the 60 cms to get a better result, yet use a good detail to not cause a problem where previously there is not one. For example, such slab might someday evolve towards a formidable strut pushing against your wall.

Do not forget to remake in any case the analysis for the projected situation.

I think the biggest probelm here is what loads are you trying to reduce, what type of retainineg wall is it, where vertically is the 60 cm that need to be removed/ reduced?

This can greatly modify any advice that can be given.

Quickly, however, there is styro-foam backfill blocks that can be used to lower the overall load on the structure, however I don't suggest using these at the surface. These should probably used shallow or along the face of the wall.

The other option may be as simple as tailing the backfill to 60 cm below the top of wall.

More detail on the problem ?!PLEASE?!

Keithe J. Merl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back